In honor of the decade coming to a close, I have decided to compile a list of the worst trends from the past 10 years. I figured it would be a bit more entertaining than the best moments, and a change from the best artists and albums lists everyone else is mashing together. So, without further ado, here is my list of the Worst Pop Culture Trends of the Decade:
10. Mind numbing reality television
- Come on, people of America. Are your own lives so boring you’ve reached a point where you will WILLINGLY watch shows like “The Hills” and “The Real Housewives of Insert City Here” for entertainment? This show here is the real winner…
9. Hideous hairstyles
- What do the headband worn over the forehead, Bump It and Amy Winehouse styles have in common? They should cease to exist.
8. The Razor Scooter
- Fun outdoors? More like death on wheels. Don’t believe me?? See for yourself…
7. Trucker Hats
- The ever classy Britney Spears and funny guy Ashton Kutcher led this trend, and America’s youth shamelessly followed. I sincerely hope we were being Punk’d.
6. The Day the Music Died
- Due to the horrors that are Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, etc. My ears are starting to bleed at the mere thought…
- I do not care how comfortable they are. You look like an idiot. And I bet they’re not too cozy when you almost get eaten by an escalator at the mall.
4. Bluetooth devices
- Yay, I can talk hands free while roaming the supermarket! Boo, people in the supermarket think I’m asking THEM how their day is because I have to be at just such an angle for them to see the PHONE IN MY EAR.
3. iPhone Apps
- This is getting ridiculous. Exhibit A: “Hold the Button,” where you do exactly that. For how long? You decide. You sit there. And hold your thumb on the screen of your phone. Until you choose to GET A LIFE!!
- I would like to take this opportunity to make a public service announcement. Ladies, if it is warm enough that you are wearing a skirt, it is not acceptable to pair FUZZY WINTER BOOTS with it. Also, you may think it is attractive to wear spandex with your Uggs and a shirt too short to cover your bottom, but I am here to tell you it is not. In the least.
- I truly don’t understand this craze. All this “Team Edward” “Team Jacob” nonsense is driving me insane. And apparently Edward sparkles in the sunlight? What. The. Hell. Plus, it looks like he hasn’t washed his hair in about 290 years.
Well, there you have it. These are, in my opinion, truly the most heinous pop culture-y trends that have consumed the general public within the past 10 years.
What do you think, did I leave out anything important??