Orianthi Panagaris certainly knows how to rock the guitar. She was named one of the 12 greatest female electric guitarists by Elle magazine in August and her debut single, “According to You,” is a hit in both the U.S. and her native Australia.
Orianthi was Michael Jackson’s lead guitarist for his “This Is It” rehearsals and is also featured on Adam Lambert’s debut album, “For Your Entertainment,” during a guitar solo on the song “Sleepwalker.”
I’ll let both of these videos do the talking. Check out the official video for Orianthi’s debut song here:
Last week I told you I would be providing a new, catchy holiday song every week, and I wouldn’t want to disappoint. So here’s my pick for this week: Merry Swiftmas by Evan Taubenfeld.
Taubenfeld is a singer/songwriter (Avril Lavigne’s former BFF and lead guitar player, too) who just released this single on his website a few days ago.
In it, Taubenfeld (who is Jewish, hence the Chanukah reference) asks Santa for only one thing this Christmas–Taylor Swift.
It might sound a little creepy, but the song is super catchy and has been stuck in my head since I first heard it.
Apparently Taubenfeld tweeted it to Swift and she replied with a “This made me smile!” (I cannot believe I just used the word “tweeted,” I’m kind of embarrassed…)
Check out the song here:
“So don’t put a bow on a box/There’s no need to send Megan Fox/I don’t need a big mansion/So let’s nix Scarlett Johannson/There’ll be teardrops on my guitar/If I end up with Amy Smart/So Santa for my gift, please send me Taylor Swift.”
In honor of the decade coming to a close, I have decided to compile a list of the worst trends from the past 10 years. I figured it would be a bit more entertaining than the best moments, and a change from the best artists and albums lists everyone else is mashing together. So, without further ado, here is my list of the Worst Pop Culture Trends of the Decade:
10. Mind numbing reality television
- Come on, people of America. Are your own lives so boring you’ve reached a point where you will WILLINGLY watch shows like “The Hills” and “The Real Housewives of Insert City Here” for entertainment? This show here is the real winner…
9. Hideous hairstyles
- What do the headband worn over the forehead, Bump It and Amy Winehouse styles have in common? They should cease to exist.
I bet the creases this leaves on your face once you take it off are quite attractive
8. The Razor Scooter
- Fun outdoors? More like death on wheels. Don’t believe me?? See for yourself…
7. Trucker Hats
- The ever classy Britney Spears and funny guy Ashton Kutcher led this trend, and America’s youth shamelessly followed. I sincerely hope we were being Punk’d.
6. The Day the Music Died
- Due to the horrors that are Miley Cyrus, The Jonas Brothers, High School Musical, etc. My ears are starting to bleed at the mere thought…
- I do not care how comfortable they are. You look like an idiot. And I bet they’re not too cozy when you almost get eaten by an escalator at the mall.
Not so practical now, are you?
4. Bluetooth devices
- Yay, I can talk hands free while roaming the supermarket! Boo, people in the supermarket think I’m asking THEM how their day is because I have to be at just such an angle for them to see the PHONE IN MY EAR.
"Hi honey, how was your day? No, not you!"
3. iPhone Apps
- This is getting ridiculous. Exhibit A: “Hold the Button,” where you do exactly that. For how long? You decide. You sit there. And hold your thumb on the screen of your phone. Until you choose to GET A LIFE!!
The timer is there to count the number of brain cells you're killing...
- I would like to take this opportunity to make a public service announcement. Ladies, if it is warm enough that you are wearing a skirt, it is not acceptable to pair FUZZY WINTER BOOTS with it. Also, you may think it is attractive to wear spandex with your Uggs and a shirt too short to cover your bottom, but I am here to tell you it is not. In the least.
Save some dough! Or save your dignity and just say NO.
- I truly don’t understand this craze. All this “Team Edward” “Team Jacob” nonsense is driving me insane. And apparently Edward sparkles in the sunlight? What. The. Hell. Plus, it looks like he hasn’t washed his hair in about 290 years.
Robert Pattinson, meet shampoo.
Well, there you have it. These are, in my opinion, truly the most heinous pop culture-y trends that have consumed the general public within the past 10 years.
What do you think, did I leave out anything important??
This clip is a few days old, but I still can’t get enough of Lady Gaga performing “Speechless” on the Ellen DeGeneres show.
One of the many reasons I love Lady Gaga is that she sounds just as amazing performing live as she does on her CD. This is sort of rare with musicians today, since a lot of them lip sync when they perform live. (*AHEM* Janet Jackson at the AMAs *COUGH*).
Check out the clip here and Gaga’s new CD, “The Fame Monster,” on iTunes.
“I can’t believe how you looked at me/With your James Dean glossy eyes/In your tight jeans and your long hair/And your cigarette stained lies.”
Philadelphia artist Alex Queral uses an unusual canvas for his craft.
His medium of choice? Recycled phone books.
While these pieces might appear to be mere sketches, they are not. Queral binds old telephone books, carves them and paints them with acrylics.
His carvings consist of pop culture icons including stars like Willie Nelson, Patrick Swayze and Ringo Starr, as seen above.
Pretty impressive, huh?? Check out a few more of Queral’s works below:
I tend to tune out any Christmas music I hear before Thanksgiving, but since tomorrow is Dec. 1, bring on the carols!
If you’re looking for some unusual Christmas music (i.e. a break from the overplayed, yet classic “The Christmas Song” and “Let It Snow!”), I will be bringing you at least one offbeat, festive holiday song every week for the month of December.
My first choice is one of my (new) personal favorites and was just released during October of this year.
The song is “Winterlove” by Parachute.
Listen to it here and be sure to check back every week for a new holiday song!!
“Spring goes by so slowly/Summer can’t come fast enough/Fall can leave me lonely/Just bring me back my winterlove.”